Saturday, May 12, 2007

Donnell bag

I just couldn't resist anymore...Tonight, I started working on the Donnell bag by Daphne Mah. (And yes, that's a link to a free pattern!) :) I have a pound of Lily Sugar 'n Cream yarn in "Lavender Ice" that I bought mostly for that purpose (the pattern didn't say how much cotton yarn I would need, so I got a pound to be safe, and because it's so darn pretty).

Well, so far, it's adorable! I'm almost halfway done already, so I guess you could say it works up quickly. I had to teach myself front post double crochet (fpdc) for the pattern. I did screw up on the math somewhere (or Daphne Mah did, but I'd bet more money on my messing up the numbers! d'oh), but the bag looks the way it's supposed to; I don't think anyone would be able to tell unless I pointed it out.

If this turns out as well as I think it will, I may have to start making them as little gifties for people. Heehee!

The super-talented Ms. Mah also has a whole bunch of other original free bag patterns at the bottom of this page, as well as a page of links to other free bag patterns on the Internet, many of which don't work. :-/

I bought some black Caron Simply Soft today so I can experiment with making a black flower brooch to fasten the sash that's part of my bridesmaid outfit for a friend's wedding. I've found some great crocheted flower patterns out there. I plan to sew some sparkly beads onto it (I'm still not feeling quite brave enough to try crocheting with beads).

No comments: