Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Lion Homespun confusion and an ebay seller rant


snuggly scarf
Originally uploaded by saintlex.
Here, once again, is the photo of my lovely "snuggly scarf." It was made with Lion Homespun, and I could've sworn the label said the color was Candy Apple. I received some Lion Homespun Candy Apple yarn that I'd ordered in the mail today, and lo and behold, Candy Apple is just plain red. (Very pretty, but not at all like the colors in my scarf!)

I have been looking everywhere, and have seen no other Lion Homespun yarn that looks like this colorway. The closest are Corinthian and Fiesta, but they aren't nearly pink enough. When I purchased the skein that this scarf was made from, it was the last one of its kind left at Michaels.

Does anyone know what color this is? Is it discontinued? If there is any possible way I can get my hands on it, I would really like to. I want to make a scarf in these colors for my grandma, since it looked so good on her when she tried it on.

I did buy some Lion Homespun in Fuchsia, which is close but without the orange and green mixed in. I guess it'll do for Grams for now, but I so want to get more of this yarn.

On a different (but related) note, the ebay seller I bought the red yarn from was really mean. The listing (and all of her listings) said the yarn would be delivered within "48 business hours." Um, OK. This is ebay. Ebay runs 24/7.

Next thing I know, it's been 2 weeks and the yarn isn't here yet. I send her an e-mail, and she explains that 48 "business hours" means 6 days, because the "business day" is 8 hours long. Uhhh...not on ebay, the last time I checked.

But it gets worse, because it was obviously NOT sent within 6 business days. It was sent via Priority Mail and got here today. That means it was sent on 5/18, at the earliest. It was purchased (and paid for) on 5/8.

I e-mailed the seller several times, and each time she was completely unapologetic. I wound up leaving negative feedback, and she left negative feedback for me, and I wouldn't really care except that she said I "refuse to understand English." WHAT?! Just because I think her whole "48 business hours" thing is misleading, she accuses me of not understanding English?! I'm an editor, for @#$%'s sake.

*sigh*

OK, sorry for venting. I just don't like mean people.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't know. I'm not really naive or anything, so I don't think it's just me....48 business HOURS? That's a bit odd and something I haven't heard of before. It sounds like her way of not having to ship things quickly, and when people question her she can say, "I said 48 business hours," and get away with it. Lame!

I don't know what the color is and I'd bet you'll have a hard time finding it now that summer is here and everything is leaning toward summer colors. Gorgeous though. Maybe in the fall you can find it. Have you tried the Lion website? Click on the "shop" link and check out the Homespun section and see if you can find it that way. I love Homespun.

Lex said...

Hi April! I'm so glad you commented. I've been worried that maybe it was just me, and maybe it's acceptable for an ebay seller to say "48 business hours" and mean 6 days. I left negative feedback, and she earned it, but that doesn't mean I don't feel kind of bad about it. :-/

I've tried the Lion web site, to no avail. I really am starting to think it's Corinthian, and the dye lot just came out differently or something. Maybe I will buy a skein of Corinthian next time I'm at Michael's and see how it works up. If it turns out to be similar enough to my scarf, then I'll buy 10 tons more. ;D